Sometimes I wonder what my brain is playing at. It’s tired, so I go to bed. Then it won’t sleep, and insists on me flipping from lying in one direction to the other all night. When I do get to sleep, it’s unsatisfying dream-sleep with slightly unsettling and even nasty dreams.
Every so often something wakes me up. Last night it was:
- A Fox screaming unnecessarily loudly
- Violently painful leg cramps
- An unnatural thirst
- Nothing at all
Being woken up for nothing at all is the worst. This is when my brain produces a list of things to worry about. For some reason, lying on ones back in the dark stimulates the brain’s worry-centres. Here is a list of “Top of the cack late-night-bed-worries”:
- Money, and the lack of it
- Tax assessment
- The things I told people I would do and then forgot about
- I drink too much and will soon be dead
- I’ve only eaten pizza all day and will soon be dead due to vegetable deficiency
- The thought of having to move house ever again
- Did I piss [insert name here] off in the pub tonight – I was a bit pissed
Why ? Why doesn’t it just let me sleep. Now I’m up at 8am typing this shit – tonight I’ll be even more knackered and will probably end up with even more late-night anxst..